|Our saving grace during a damp Fontainebleau trip|
|Typical Font rainy day activity - look around the palace|
|The "top out" on a very hard 7A called Lamentin, at L'Elephant|
|Happy having done Magic Bus (7B+) first try|
The Tick List
- La Moreau (6A) - A brilliant little introduction to Fontainebleau bouldering at a friendly crag.
- La Voie Michant (6C) - One of those I had failed on in earlier years, but ascended first try this time. Quality.
- Le Lepreaux Direct (7A) - One big move off two slopers to reach jugs above… soft, but a nice introduction to Font 7A.
- 24 Black (6A) - A good problem, hard for the grade, and a little tucked away.
- Lamentin (7A) - Brilliant juggy undercutting climbing with rubbish feet. More like 7A+/B IMO.
- La Barre Fixe Directe (7B+) - Dynamic and powerful movement on good holds, suiting me to a tee. Took less than 30 minutes. Video below…
- Charcuterie (7A) - Very much 7A IMO, either way you do it. Big reach, core tension and easy top out. Classic.
- Unnamed 6A adjacent to L'Abattoir boulder - Nice moves and just enough of them
- Unknown 7A not far from Marie Rose - toe hook, sloper slapping and oddly pumpy despite being quite short.
- Unknown 6C - obvious arete visible from the path you walk in on. Really good quality, tenuous arete climbing.
- A Bras Plat A Bras (6C) - Nice, steep traverse with one tough move followed by an awkward top out. Opposite above arete.
- Bizarre Bizarre assis (7A+) - did the stand (7A) in a couple of tries and the assis was a whole new kettle of fish, taking a little longer to figure out the connecting moves.
- 5 Red Traverse (6A) - A really nice, really tough for 6A traverse that leads into big finishing moves. Worth doing.
Franchard Hautes Plaines
- Surplomb De La Coquille (6C+) - Having failed on this last year, I was keen to finish it off. Did it first try, at the end of a long day.
- Surplomb De La Coquille assis (7A) - Wanted to add this separately, as I managed it first try, having done the stand first try as well. Shows training is working, as I failed the stand last year.
- Retour Aux Sources (7A) - Great line, great moves. Had one proper go before it started raining, went back the next day and did it first try. Worth noting, it dries very quickly due to exposure, so it was getting a lot of traffic while we were there, as it was one of the few dry lines in the forest for most of the week.
- Magic Bus (7B+) - Having failed to lock the crimp last year, I did the problem first try this year, having warmed up on it as well. Another indicator of training working.
- Remise A L'Heure (6A+) - Delicate traverse into an arete.
- Quelle Conque (5+) - Quintessential Font top out in an amenable grade. Classic.
- Envolage (6C) - Nice rising traverse into a green, mossy top out. Scary, so I was pleased I flashed it.
La Roche Aux Sabots
- La Porte A Faux (6A) - Having once again failed on the adjacent dyno, Smatch (7B), I did this to make myself feel better… and it worked! Good problem.
- 14 Red (6B) - The. Hardest. 6B. In Fontainebleau. Last problem of the trip, so bad skin, sweaty, wet conditions and sore muscles all conspired to make it VERY difficult.
|Hot cup of tea and a French flan on the night before travelling back to England - doesn't get much better!|