Friday, 26 August 2011

Will cycling help my climbing?

It's been two weeks since I swapped four wheels for two as my transportation of choice when travelling to work. And no, I'm not referring to a motorbike, but a bicycle. 


I have been thinking and occasionally wanting to cycle to work ever since I started as a freelancer. And I finally took the plunge. I've borrowed (indefinitely, no doubt) my Dad's old bike, equipped it with new handlebars and a bike-lock, and myself with a helmet, and I've been peddling for 40 minutes a day for the past two weeks.


Now, that doesn't sound like a lot, 40 minutes a day. But that's 5 days a week. And that's on top of rock climbing 4 days a week (3 hour sessions) and a home workout routine twice a week (takes 1 hour). To some, this still might not sound like a lot. And maybe it isn't. But it certainly feels like a lot. The addition of the 3.5(ish) hours a week of cycling to my routine has meant that I've lost weight and feel totally knackered as I write this. But, I have to admit, I'm loving it. And not just that I've saved £50-60 on petrol costs already.


Saying that, I haven't felt a great deal of benefit in my climbing (losing the weight) as of yet - but I think this is largely down to the fact that I haven't quite got used to the cycling and have felt tired since I started. Plus I've also had a cold over the past week, so that's meant physical exercise has been that much harder.


I'm hoping, as my body gets used to the extra exertion, that I'll start to feel a lot more benefit. Hoping to get on some old boulder projects over the weekend as well. Projects that I haven't been able to touch in over a month. So this will be a good first test, I guess.