Saturday, 8 December 2012

Flatworld!

Ice. Lots of ice. It's all over the place when you enter the Peak District. Strewn across sections of the road, walls, patches of land and most of the pathways. Getting around can be hazardous. But it also means the temperatures for climbing on grit are reaching their PEAK! Holds are feeling incredibly grippy at the moment and I am liking it.

Today was a good day. I sent Flatworld, which is graded at 7C or 7B+, depending on which guide you look at and who you speak to. In my opinion, 7B+ is probably more accurate, going on some of the 7Cs that I've tried. What is nice, either way you look at it, is that I've never climbed a boulder that has been graded harder than 7B, so today was a first for me. Plus Flatworld is a fantastic boulder with some amazing moves. If I'm being totally honest, I think Flatworld Left Hand is a better problem, but not by much.

Anyway, I did both today, plus Fatworld and tried a few bits and pieces at Curbar Edge. An awesome day of climbing. Here is a video of a chap climbing Flatworld... it's not me. I don't think I made it look this easy. Trust me, it's not as easy as it looks. A hard lock off leads to a funny balance where you have to bring your left foot in, then bump right hand higher, move left foot up to a nice sloping ledge and pull through for the top. A tricky little sequence.

I hope the DRY weather stays around for a while but I think the forecast is for rain tomorrow. We shall see. I'm so psyched to get out climbing right now!