Sunday, 23 December 2012

Project ticked! The Terrace at Burbage North

It's two days before Christmas and I've just given myself an early present. I sent my project: The Terrace (7C) at Burbage North. I've had a few sessions on this one - one or two in dodgy conditions - and I've never been able to do the first move, but today everything came together.


Me on The Terrace (7C), Burbage North

Truth be told, with the amount it's been raining around Sheffield of late, I never thought I'd get out on gritstone this side of Christmas. I woke up this morning with the firm idea that I'd be climbing indoors, but low and behold, when the curtains were flung back, I was greeted with blue skies and sunshine. Get psyched!

Off to Burbage North it was. Firstly, a few warm up problems at the bridge, as per usual. A nice 6A/+ traverse, a funny little 6B+, a 6C arete, and then off to Breakfast on the West side. This strange little 7A had me stumped for nine or ten tries, before I finally dispatched it again. I had climbed it before, but couldn't for the life of me remember how. I didn't feel especially good on it. To be honest, it felt hard to me. I'd be more inclined to give it 7A+, but then again a friend retro-flashed it pretty easily today, so it's probably just me.

Anyway, after that, I wasn't especially psyched for my project, as I had struggled with something that's supposed to be several grades easier. But off we went. 

I tried the first move on The Terrace a couple of times and something felt different. I was getting close to the small dish you have to catch with your left hand. It's the first time I've actually hit it solidly, so it was the first time when I thought it was actually possible. To ensure I didn't screw it up if I caught the dish, I decided to try the following moves and linked them all first try (that's never happened before either). So now it was just a case of catching the dish and dispatching. A few tries later I finally caught the left hand dish and completed the boulder. Amazing feeling. The moves are superb: powerful but technical at the same time. And it just flowed today. Christmas come early!


Last move of The Terrace, Burbage North

Below is a little footage of the send.