Thursday, 28 March 2013

A quick update on the Rock Climbing Life

A quick update on the Rock Climbing Life, with so much going off at the moment. 


As anyone living in the Peak District already knows, we've had some atrocious weather over the past week or two. Ten foot high snow drifts, howling wind, freezing temperatures. People have been out skiing for crying out loud! Climbing outside has gone out of the window, but this gave me time to train ahead of my first trip to Switzerland. We're leaving tonight, breaking up the journey with a stop off in Fontainebleau, an afternoon's climb and a campsite kip in the very cheap but good Camping Les Pres (don't be put off by the website - I've stayed there numerous times and it's great). Then, the following day (Saturday), we'll be making the jaunt over to Chironico / Cresciano for eight hopefully dry days. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

I've been climbing well of late, getting stronger and stronger, and my recent send of The Keel has helped boost my confidence. I'm hoping for good things in Switzerland - not to put too much pressure on myself - so I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

On another note, as I'm sure most of you will be aware, I've taken up the role of Peak District Area Reporter for the very popular ukclimbing.com. You can read my first report (which has had an incredible 8,000 reads as I write this) here. I've already started pulling some news together for the next one and I hope to finish this when I get back. If anyone knows anything kicking off in the Peak - new routes and problems, rare repeats, young'uns or old'uns sending, access issues, anything at all really - then get in touch!. Comment below and leave your email. Alternatively, for those Twitter inclined, you'll find a link to my profile on the left. Give me an @ mention and I'll get back to you ASAP.

The only other thing to do is share a few great photos that weren't used on the UKC article. It would be a shame to waste them!

This was used on UKC but I think it's an ace shot - Katy Whittaker on the blank wall of Toy Boy (E7 7A) - Credit / Copyright Pirie Forrest

Mina Leslie-Wujastyk on Careless Torque (8A) - Credit / Copyright Pirie Forrest

Mina on Jason's Roof (8A) - Credit / Copyright David Mason